Friday, January 1, 2010

The Best Love Story

The best love story I ever heard sounded something like this:
"I'd just met her and she was headed back out east to Brooklyn. She'd graduated from college here in Portland and was headed back. Even though I'd just met her, I wanted to spend every possible moment with her, so I quit my job and offered to make the 2 week road trip across the country with her."
"All told, the trip took 8 months"
"We wandered through the entire country, stopping at anything and everything that caught our attention. We worked odd jobs, washing dishes for scraps of leftover food and sleeping in our car or in a beat up tent. New York became a far off deadline and then faded into obscurity as we fell in love."
"Eventually, we blew into New York. But before we even set our bags down, she'd stumbled upon a cheap flight to Sweden. We did right by her family, and stayed with them for a couple days before tucking our passports in our bags and taking off. After all, her folks had already waited months to see her, and, well meet me."
"By chance, on the flight to Sweden we sat next to someone who knew a farmer who took in strong backs like ours. After a stint on his farm, we travelled the country for the summer as WWOOFers, hopping from farm to farm."
"As it started to get cold and dark up north, we trickled down through Europe. But nothing matched the countryside of Sweden."
"Eventually, we found ourselves back here. Maybe New York is still a far off deadline, too obscure to even understand anymore. I've lost track. But I loved that woman from the moment I saw her wake up stiff after 3 days of sleeping in a beat up old grey hatchback full of shit from college. Tonights her birthday and I've been stockpiling presents for her all year, but every year, I realize how little "stuff" has played a role with us. So I stayed up all last night, working on a painting for her. In comparison it all falls flat, you know, but maybe that's exactly how you know."

No comments: