Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lao-Lao-Love

Angela, Curtis and I were perched on the slimey limestone rocks trying to come up with the right words to describe the water of Kuang Si Waterfall. Three passionate writers... all falling pathetically short.
Blue Topaz?
Icicles when the first spring sun hits them?
Carribean blue?

Water beads dripping down a mexican blue glass.
In short. Stunning beautiful blue. Unlike any freshwater you've ever seen.
When Robert and Heiko(I finally learned how to spell his name) wanted to go, I resisted. I don't like the touristy crap. And everyone complains that there's "Nothing to do" in Luang Brabang, which I think is the wrong attitude. I like to enjoy a place for what it is. The way the brick sidewalks lay just as the french put them. . The shade from palm trees down the steep alleys to the river. The rock staircases up to the wat on mount Phousi. Crumpled plumerias and african tulips in the ditches.
I don't need things to do all the time. I'm not needing a distraction. And its expensive.
So, after several waterfalls in Thailand, I didn't feel like paying for a round trip tuk tuk ride up there and an admission fee.... but it was completely and totally worth it.
I've been blessed to see many beautiful waterfalls, and this one ranks high. Such beautiful crytstalline pools for swimming! The superior way to cool off. And my legs are still shaking from climbing up a tree and leaping off it into the pools.
I'm glad I ran into Curtis and Angela this morning while I was munching on my baguette and they dragged me out to the waterfall. I absolutely adore the both of them. I've been meeting so many fantastic couples on this trip. The kind that instill incredible hope in a somewhat jaded heart. And, from my research I can tell you one thing, love at first sight does in fact exist. Greg and Trisha, Wendy and Ed, Angela and Curtis, all of them reached out to shake each others hands and literally never let go of each other since. And they move through the world effortlessly as one. They are really incredible to see.
So, when I woke up this morning I was hit with an incredible rush of homesickness. But it wasn't your typical homesickness. I wanted the comfort that Angela and Curtis have with each other. I want someone who feels like home. But until then, I'll just keep enjoying the company I keep when I'm alone.
Heiko( my roomate), Robert, Steven, Iphy, Curtis and Angela are headed down to Vang Vieng tomorrow. It's the party central of Laos and I honestly have no intention or interest in of tubing down a river and getting really drunk/stoned there-- which is what you do in Vang Vieng. So I need to find a place to move to in Luang Prabang for the next few days.
It ain't cheap here and it's hard to find a room with just a fan and no Air-con.

1 comment:

Makenna said...

Don't be homesick! We love you all the way through the other side of the planet (yes, we're that cool). I know you're not necessarily homesick to see -us-, but I think I can understand what you mean by this particular species of homesickness.

Don't be sad, though...You're having so much fun, and you've already been gone a month and it seems like a only week or so to me, and probably to you, too.

Anyways, I love you, and don't be homesick! You're safe, you're having fun, you're occupied, and you're loved.