Friday, June 20, 2008

"Maybe I shouldn't gotten the Rabies shot... didn't."

"I used to really like dogs, then I got bit in Laos" James said this and pointed out the fresh scars when the strangely warewolf looking dog tried to befriend us at Pai Canyon.
Now I'm paranoid.
You see there's a strange thing that happens. The placid nirvana dogs which lay serenely in the middle of the street all day---become angry territorial packs at night.
I'd turned my motorbike back in a few days ago to cut back on expenses and get the exercize for the 2 km walk into town.
Which is all well and good except, try as I might, I couldn't seem to get out of town and back home before dark.
a) I don't care how laid back a town is I don't like walking alone on a dark county road at night
b) werewolf dog packs.
and c) full moon.
The entire walk is fine, it's just the last 100 meters to the entrance to the guesthouse property and the dogs start up.
I try to yell for help so someone can call them off-- but I can't even be heard over the incessant howling, growling and nashing of teeth. Every move I make, even slight and one of them would lunge at me.
Turns out a sudden adrenaline shock like that isn't good for sleeping.
I finished my massage class today and will practice tomorrow morning, but I'd like to be closer to town. A little less "secluded, backwoods horror movie setting" as Ed put it.
So this morning after some weird sounds in the night (full moon type stuff) the farmer wake up call I packed up and moved into town-- all 8 blocks of it.
My new place is on the pai river and is slightly more expensive but only by $1.50 and it has a hammock on the porch! YAY! Because, despite what my family thinks, I'm not only having a great time, I'm writing about it every day and a hammock is a glorious place to eat rambotan and write.
It was probably a really good thing to pack up and move. I had actually settled in a little too much. This place sucks you in. And I think, when I'm a little less tired I'm gonna get back to thinking about going to Laos by either speedboat (1 day trip) or slowboat (2 days, 1 night) down the Mekong river. Either way I've heard horror stories about how uncomfortable they are and-- in the case of the slow boat-- how godawful the guesthouses are in the overnighting town.
Obviously there's a price differential. So I'll get around to thinking about it soon-- but I just love pai so much!
(famous last words)

No comments: