"Good morning! She used to be a man, come and see!"
This was the greeting from the sharp, bright-eyed thai boy that works at the guest house I was staying at. He was watching a lady boy beauty competition on the TV-- and my goodness! They were stunning!
"See you can tell here! too big!" he gestured to his shoulders and then pointed at the tv.
Yea, their shoulders were a little broad, I guess.... but they were absolutely mind bogglingly beautiful!
Then again, all thai women are and if I were born a thai man I'd probably want to make the switch too. There's a certain radience to all the people here, but especially the women. I thought this as I came through Taipei: it's really a wonder that Westerners every procreate with each other when there are beautiful asians in this world? I'm not even shaving my legs here. Why bother? I'll be completely androgynous and fly under the radar--even though I would, naturally since I'm caucasian and don't possess the natural beauty of the thai women.
Anyhow, I'm in chaing mai now and I love it. Went to the sunday street marker, where essentially this entire area of town becomes a market! The most amazing pad thai you've ever tasted? 33 cents please! Cooked up coconut pudding? another 33 cents! I'm eating really good but all small portions which is perfect.
That guesthouse I stayed in last night was truly beautiful, Huge airy teak wood rooms --but-- right next to several rock bars. VERY LOUD. So I moved over to a cute little place that's almost a little apartment with a private bathroom. For about $6 a night. I'll stay here in Old Chaing Mai city a few more days because it's lovely and comfortable. A far far cry from BKK!
Then I think I'll head up to Pai for a few days, it's a little hippie town up 3 hours from here where a friend's brother lives. I hear its great.
I'm finally at the point where I can live in accordance with my budget and even under it (fingers crossed). I think I have all my necessities under control. Including the umbrella and white clothes that I will need for the monestary. And enough bug spray and sunscreen for a good while. I had a $1.50 breakfast this morning and will probably get some lunch with kolyo here in a bit.
I wake up very early here and go to bed fairly early too and just relax and write and read. I'm working on relaxing more and remembering that this is supposed to be fun. And it's finally becoming fun. Something about $6 full body thai or oil massages help with that whole relaxation bit...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
D-- this is great stuff. I am having a great time reading of your adventures, and remembering some of my own. The Asian toilet reminded me of my first visit to India. I had been soooooo careful to drink bottled water, eat only cooked food, etc. but at the end of the flight from Delhi (worst major airport in the world!) to Singapore (best) I felt that awful rumbling in my belly. I got off the flight and realized that I needed to RUN NOT WALK to the nearest facility, which turns out (in finest Asian airport fashion) to be about a half mile away. I found a mens room while cramping and frantically holding things shut, tore open a stall door with one hand while undoing my slacks with another and...you guessed it...an Asian toilet. Cramping beggars not being choosers, my on-the-(ahem)-job training was expedient. Good times.
Glad to hear you are starting to get your head into Chang Mai. Have a great time at the monastery. Hear the voice. Peace.
oh my beautiful darling,
i just spent a good amount of time reading all the posts youve written since you arrived in thailand. i must say...things sound fantastic! despite a few rough patches here and there...they are such great stories to tell, even now. just so you know youve been in my thoughts lately. im sending good vibes your way and keep going on this wonderful adventure your on! keep all of us updated and send me a postcard if you get a second. itll spice up my summer in texas a bit! love and miss you ♥
Post a Comment