Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Turtle Island

I'm so bullheaded.
Funny thing about Islands, there at sea level at all but the middle places. And when the taxi driver at the pier told me I couldn't walk to Tao Tong Villa I pointed at the faint little dirt road at the map and said yes I can. It was 6 am. After a legitimate HIKE over the the beautiful cast and forest hill with all my gear I made it to my beach side bungalow.
This arrogant do it yourself-ism has gotten me pretty far though. Like from Laos to South Thailand! Pretty darn fast too! Even the guy at the train station window tried to sell me a train-taxi-ferry package deal, but I took the cheap seat instead and manage to snag the midnight ferry across and saved about 600 bhat in the process. I slept the whole trip too!
And Ko Tao is remarkable. Expensive by Thai standards, but remarkable. Everything has to come from the mainland here-- including, apparently internet. It's really expensive. So I'm not going to be on a computer. Not when I have a hammock under a tree on the beach calling my name.
I might even do my Open Water PADI dive certification, it's under consideration. Hammock lounging- poetry writing-- consideration. The very best kind.
So, no more interwebs for me for a while, but I'm safe and oh so very happy.

No comments: