The three of us "Ghettos"-- as the scottish say when they mean "girls" but it sounds like ghettos every single time-- were lying on the small arc of beach known as Bottle Beach, reading big sandy and slightly soggy books when all of a sudden Lora screams a long and strangled yelp.
"I can't do this anymore. I'm going stircrazy."
Gillian and I nodded in agreement. It was time to move on. it takes 30 minutes by boat and 30 minutes by taxi to reach bottle beach and then, there's nothing there. Bungalows and their restaurants and nothing else. Which is fine. But it's not thailand. It's tourism.
Ko Tao is tourism too, but at least there's stuff to see in the water. Phangnan is just sand, Ko Tao is lush coral. And diving.
I attempted to sleep in a hammock last night-- I'm exhausted. I ended up bunking for a night with a Welsh girl named Penny who teaches English in Beijing. Bejing had kicked her and pretty much any other non-chinese citizen on a working visa out until the end of the olympic games, and not with much warning. so she was laying as low and as cheaply as possibly in Thailand.
But the islands are expensive. There's a captive audience factor there. And again, it's not Thailand.
I think I'll stick around just long enough to do my advanced diver dives, and dive at night with sharks (Mike: "Why do night dives?" Matt: "Um, because they're awesome!")-- spending money that maybe I shouldn't spend, but oh well, I live in Colorado, I don't get to dive all that often. But after that, I think I'll head up to Aryudha. I miss Thailand.
But frankly, in this very tired state, I'm ready to go home. I only have what I'm counting as 8 days left and I'm sure they'll fly by-- but I can't wait to wear some different clothes and maybe even some make up. I'll be sad when its over, but I do feel like I've done Thailand justice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment